Friday 12 June 2009

Cordillera Blanca



I'd wanted to go to Huaraz and the Cordillera Blanca ever since I the last time I was in Peru and didn't quite make it far enough north. In fact, I wanted to go sooo much, that i subjected myself to the embarrassment of advertising myself on various hostel and cafe notice boards. Something along the lines of "loner without friends requires travel partners"....yes, my phone was ringing off the hook.
Luckily I bumped into Dave, who i'd met before in Ecuador, and was able to convince him that the Santa Cruz trek would be the most fun he'd have on his whole trip, and that he should immediately abandon all other plans and make me look less like a person who has to advertise for friends.
The hike was a lot of fun...snowy mountains, pretty flowers, high-altitude passes and glacial valleys carved out of the rock. It was a relatively easy trek (especially with mules to help!), but beautiful. Though give me a tent and a large enough supply of oreo cookies and i'll be happy almost anywhere :)

No comments: