Monday 27 April 2009

The Pirate Francis Drake



The town where I was supposed to meet 'the Captain' is about as far as you can go in a Northeasterly direction in Panama. After that, it's on foot, possibly with a few guerrilla-shaped obstacles in your path!!

I stopped in Portobelo on the way, which is where our honourable Sir Francis Drake lies, somewhere at the sandy bottom of the sea. Funny that here he is never mentioned without a whisper of piracy....interestingly different history lessons depending on where you are in the world I guess.

It's a strange area of Panama, lots of old Spanish fortresses, tiny forgotten towns and a distinct feeling of maritime trickery. Lots of (slightly dodgy) boat people hanging around who've been at sea for years and have become slightly loco from all the salty air.

After waiting by the side of the road for several hours for a bus that was rumoured to travel to Miramar, decided it was actually safer to hitchhike than to sit by the road all night (sorry mum!)...I did manage to find the oldest man in Panama to give me a lift, I could definitely have taken him on in an arm wrestle :)

No comments: